Thursday, January 11, 2007

Divine Intervention

Don't know if you caught the end of the Seahawks / Cowboys wild-card playoff game on Saturday night, but I sure did. You think after all the griping / wishing / praying I've done in this section of the TNSC website in the past year I'd miss that one?

Let me preface the rest of the rant with this: I have no illusions that the Seahawks are good at all this year, and they definitely aren't worthy of being considered a playoff-caliber team this season. But until the NFL decides to exclude the NFC West from the definition of "playoff-caliber", they'll still be in the running.

Around the middle of the 4th quarter, the standard Seahawks sinking feeling started setting in. The Cowboys were clicking. The Seahawks defense was looking tired. I had done enough yelling at the TV that Lily has forbidden me from watching Seahawks games at home until the end of time or the end of my life, whichever comes first.

I came to the conclusion that no team that I root for is going to win a championship any time soon, nor has any won a championship in my lifetime - excluding the SuperSonics in 1979, but I was too young to really appreciate it. And I realize that it took forever for many fans of the Boston Red Sox to get another title, but it's kinda hard to feel sorry for a place that's won three of the last five Super Bowls.

In fact, Seattle has the longest drought of any city in terms of winning a sports championship. Unless you're counting the WNBA championship won by the Seattle Storm in 2004. But that's the WNBA. If most women don't care about the Women's NBA, why should I?

Okay, I also realize that Cleveland has statistically the longest drought in terms of championships, but they've actually WON the NFL Championship. They've won the World Series. Seattle titles in those sports? Zero.

But we kept the game close. And we took the lead. And I knew that it couldn't last. Near the end of the game, Dallas drove toward the goal and set up for a field goal. And I'm thinking "a bad snap is the only way we're winning this thing."

And there it was. And there I was jumping off the couch and pogo-ing in my living room. Lily got pissed because she had just put Judah to bed and I was in danger of waking him up. Bad snap? No. Bad hold? Yesssss. Romo got one last chance to take off the goat costume, but it didn't happen. I don't feel sorry for that guy. He has Carrie Underwood around to take the pain away. Unless she dumps his sorry ass. Who wants to date a goat like Romo?

My only explanation for the win is that some divine intervention intervened and gave Seattle a break. After all the bad breaks that have gone against the Seahawks in the past few years, something came through and said "I'll give ya this one". Or maybe it's so Seattle can get tortured for another week.